Lesson

Yesterday morning, I was trying to hustle the kid into the van so that we could get to church. It was -4 outside (I know I am prone to exaggeration but trust me, that was the actual temperature) and I just wanted to get her in and go. I've read that there have been actual studies which prove that tailgating a car only succeeds in making the driver go more slowly. Similarly, the more you try to hustle my daughter along, the slower she moves. First, she needs to settle Teddy into the seat next to hers. Sometimes she insists on buckling him in, which adds a couple more minutes. Then she has to screw around with the overhead push lights in the back of the van. And so on it goes.

Yesterday, I was getting profoundly exasperated with the whole routine. She was wandering around the back of the van while I was shivering in the garage. Finally, she clambered into her car seat. But then, she wanted to buckle herself in. Argh! I danced from foot to foot to keep warm until I was able to confirm that she was properly secured and ready to go.

And then I heard this:

"Mama, I am so happy to be with you." She looked up at me and smiled, her cheeks flushed from the frigid air.

Oh, man. She stopped me in my tracks with that one. I don't know if she just wanted a little insurance in case Santa was watching her or if she simply sensed my frustration. Or, maybe she just said it because she was, in fact, happy to be with me. It was one of those moments where you are virtually brought to your knees with the knowledge that a) you're kinda being an ass and b) a little kid loves you.

Comments

Dawn said…
Awwww! I got all teary eyed with that one! (I know...I'm a SAP!) Just a couple of words...but oh so meaningful!!!
Sam said…
Very, very, very sweet. She's the cutest.
Anonymous said…
Those out-of-the-blue comments always stab me in the heart, too. A is very sweet, and you are very patient-- I would not have been as nice while standing in the cold!

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

On Being Patriotic

Three cheers for headgear!