Hound for the Holidays

I picked up a new foster Boxer on Sunday. His name is Caesar. The kid, however, persists in calling him "Susie" no matter how many times I correct her. She grabbed my camera on Sunday evening and decided to take some photos of our new guest (she took the snapshot above which, frankly, is at least as good as any picture I've ever taken). I was on the computer and could hear her in the next room, chatting with her subject.

"Sit, Susie!" I heard her say.

"Goober, his name is Caesar!"

Five minutes later: "Susie, you're so cuuuuuute."

The new guy seems to be settling in pretty well, though he's still a bit nervous. He jumps up and follows us from room to room. He was surrendered by a family who said they were moving and couldn't have him in their new place. His birthday is 5/18/05, which makes him about two weeks younger than my daughter. Caesar came from a home with a two-year-old in it, so he's good with kids.

I was told that Caesar has occasional issues with other dogs, particularly if the other dog is dominant at all. I was hopeful that he would fit in with my crew and, fortunately, it seems to be working out fine. Seeing as how Giddy allowed Chloe (our last foster) to hump him every day for seven months, I think it's safe to say he is not dominant. And my old man, Karl, no longer has the energy to rough up newcomers. I fear he will be leaving us after the holidays, but I am blocking that thought for now.

So, Caesar/Susie will be with us through the holidays, as the rescue puts a hold on adoptions between Christmas and New Year's (dogs don't make good gifts, for alla ya'll that don't know). The tricky part is that we still have a lot of dogs coming in even though we aren't placing any. With the economy sucking ass like it is, a lot of times it seems like the family dog is the first thing to go.

Comments

Mary said…
You may have a photographer on your hands!! ;) What a cute face too! The ol' moving story... love that one, oh ya. Now I know RARELY there is a valid reason to ditch the family dog but unless you are heading to the hospital or nursing home I don't buy it. Glad to hear he is doing well with your others though and doesn't mind being a boy named Susie.;)
Samantha said…
That is a great picture! Caesar/Susie is beautiful (thats okay for a boy dog right?). I love how soft the area around his nose and lips (jowls?) look.

I can't imagine willingly getting rid of my dogs. They are just as much my family as the people are.
Anonymous said…
Susie .. er, Caesie .. oops Susar ... dang ... Susiear is so CUTE! What a gentle looking face. I hope he can relax when he realizes that he is loved.

Sorry to hear that Karl is getting old. Those darn dogs! They never read the fine print in their contracts that says they have to live as long as we do. Anyway, I sure know how it is, so sorry to hear about the old boy. He's a sweetie.

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

On Being Patriotic

Three cheers for headgear!