Ammo


You'd better watch out, you'd better not cry.

I need to assure you that I am generally aware of the different parenting/discipline techniques out there. Many are similar to those used in dog training, believe it or not. Positive reinforcement. Time-out. Assertive discipline. The list goes on and on.

But here is what I find works best:

"Do it one more time and I'm calling Santa."

My daughter (and I'd venture to say that 9 out of 10 three-year-olds are inclined to agree with her) does not believe in being "good for goodness' sake." She believes in pushing boundaries until they are stretched beyond recognition.

The Santa Threat is really only effective for about four weeks out of the year. You have to be careful not to pull it out of your arsenal too quickly. I waited until our Thanksgiving vacation. My little buttercup ran away from me at the Minneapolis-St. Paul airport and headed for a moving sidewalk (which was moving in the opposite direction from where we needed to go). I asked her to turn around and stay by my side (you know, where she was less likely to get kidnapped?). She ignored me.

"Fine!" I called after her. "I'm calling Santa right now!" I reached for my cell phone. A stopped, dropped to her knees, threw back her head and yelled, "No! Don't. Call. SAAAAAANTA!" Dozens of travelers streamed past her as she knelt on the carpet in the middle of the concourse. Some looked perplexed and some just smiled at me and nodded (the latter group, no doubt, were parents).

I collected my child off the floor. After warning her again of the dangers of running off in a large, international airport, I generously agreed to give her a pass this time, but warned that next time she might not be so lucky.

Comments

Susie said…
Yep--we're using that same technique, and it works more than other current methods for the moment. We have a good friend whose brother will pretend to be Santa for parents who want to increase the level of the game--let me know if you want his number! He'll tell the little munchkins whatever we want them to hear. We haven't used that part of the arsenal yet, but trust me, with 21 more days to go, yeah, he's gonna get some calls!
Unknown said…
Oh I'm gonna have to try that one out. Cuz Red Light isn't working any more. He just screams "Green Light" and keeps on running.
Mary said…
I pictured this one and just laughed! While I know losing a child in the airport just might not be too funny the rest of it was!!;)
Anonymous said…
Been there, done that! Although the crowd at the airport does add some great imagery.
Last year, I actually had my dad call the house and pretend to be Santa. It was quite effective...I highly suggest it if you can find a male voice that your child doesn't recognize on the phone.

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

Three cheers for headgear!

On Being Patriotic