Off to Oklahoma (Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain)

The kid and I are headed to Oklahoma, Land of Meemaw, tomorrow morning. I've been packing since Tuesday. I'm trying to keep it pared down to the basics, but I also feel compelled to run through a few "what if" scenarios ("what if she rolls in a pile of opened magic markers?" - don't laugh, I actually have a very strong suspicion that she has done this) and plan accordingly. The kid, for her part, is being very helpful by filling our luggage with things like Mardi Gras beads and a small painted pumpkin.

We've run into one minor snag. Now, A has been housebroken for around eight months now and seldom has an accident. But yesterday, just as we were about to head out to see "Sesame Street Live," she peed through her underwear and onto the bathroom floor. I didn't think much of it, and got her changed and then cleaned up the bathroom. Later, after we got back from the gala performance, she was laying in my bed and peed again. Suddenly I started having nightmares about being ten states away with a child who has a roaring UTI.

I asked her a few questions like, "Does it hurt when you pee?" At first she nodded yes but then, realizing that such an admission would lead to a doctor visit, she recanted. We have had ongoing cooter-related issues since she was one or so. The pediatrician never finds anything, and the problem never really gets resolved.

So, I think I am going to try to get her an appointment today, just to be on the safe side.

I hope to be able to update my blog next week while I'm on vacation. My mom just bought a laptop and is working on getting an internet connection. She lives in a very small town and apparently her ISP options are pretty limited. Here is an example of how small the town is. When she called a local provider about getting an internet connection, the guy said this:

"Can you step outside and tell me if you have a clear view of the tower on the nursing home?"

My mom stepped outside and confirmed that she had an unobstructed view.

"Great," the technician told her. "We can get you hooked up."

I sure hope so, because nickjr.com is the only thing that enables me to have ten minutes to myself these days.

See you on the flip side.

Comments

Susie said…
See you soon! And I hope and pray that A doesn't have a UTI--and I hope and pray just as much that she doesn't have accidents on the plane. That's the only thing that could make flying alone with a kid more fun that it already is!
I'm still hoping A's housebroken-ness will rub off on my stubborn little guy. We'll see!
Samantha said…
I hope you have a good time!

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

On Being Patriotic

Three cheers for headgear!