New Foster Dog: Odin

I picked up my new foster dog on Sunday. His name is Odin. Odin is an odd name but I'm always grateful when a dog shows up who is not named Rocky. Just a note to all the Boxer owners out there: if you think it's funny to name your Boxer after an actual Boxer, you are not the first person to think of this. I am pretty sure that 20% of all Boxer dogs on the planet are named Rocky. And if not Rocky, Tyson. Bor-ring!

Odin is a nice dog and he gets along with my boys and my kid, so that's as much as I can ask for. He was surrendered by a family who said they were moving into an apartment and that Odin exceeded the allowable weight limit. First they said they had to move because their child is ill and they needed to be near a specific medical facility. Later they said they were moving because of a job change. Remember, kids, when you tell a lie, you have to try to remember what you said so that you can be consistent with your lying.

I took Odin to the vet yesterday. He is three and hadn't seen the inside of a vet clinic since 2004. If you don't have the time/money/inclination to provide proper veterinary care to your dog, maybe it's best not to get one, you know? Call me crazy! I had him brought up to date on everything and ran fecal and heartworm tests. He is underweight and his coat is dull. His former owner fed him Ol' Roy and said he was a picky eater. So far Odin has wolfed down everything I've put in front of him. I'm firmly convinced that Ol' Roy kills dogs. You may as well feed your dog the actual bag that it comes in - the nutritional value would be about the same. It'll take a few weeks but Odin's weight, skin, and coat will all be up to par by the time he gets adopted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

On Being Patriotic

Three cheers for headgear!