Chicks' Weekend

I abandoned my family this weekend and went out of town with a couple of friends.  There were no arrests, so that's a plus. It was fun to get away for a night and I didn't even have to yell at anyone to get dressed and brush their teeth.

On Friday night (before I headed out of town), I took the kid to an improv comedy show.  The comedy troupe was holding a fundraiser for a couple of local organizations that provide support to cancer patients. So, I wanted to enjoy some funny stuff and buy some raffle tickets.  Since I won a basket in a raffle the week before, I felt like my winning ways just might continue. Sure enough, I found out yesterday that I won a free night in a hotel room! The hotel is only about 15 minutes away from my house, but what the heck, right?  Of course, once I board the dogs and make babysitting arrangements for my child, the "free" night might run me a hundred bucks.  Anyway, the show was a lot of fun. A friend of mine is one of the performers so it's always fun to see him in his element. I wish I could think on my feet like those talented people do. If someone were to say something funny to me on stage, I might be able to come up with an amusing retort by the following Wednesday. Definitely not five seconds later.

The kid was dying to get up on stage but as luck would have it, they didn't play any audience volunteer games that night. She did yell out some suggestions when the crowd was asked for them (when asked for "an occupation that starts with a c" she yelled "chiropractor!" - what a smartie, eh?)  By the way, if you ever go to an improv show and the audience is asked for suggestions, my friend Gary told me never to suggest any of the following:
  • Britney Spears
  • Jello
  • Bungee Jumping
  • Abraham Lincoln
  • Michael Jackson
She also got to choose a name from a hat and a couple other things. At the end of the show, when the referee left the stage, she ran up to him and hugged him. I guess they were besties by that point.  I have to say that the kid is at a fun age now. Instead of shredding her napkin and complaining about how bored she was (something she would have done just a couple years ago), she really got into it.

On Saturday morning, I went to Weight Watchers (lost a little bit of weight - woot!) and then headed to my friend's house.  The three of us then headed out of town.  I felt a little bit bad about leaving the kid behind, because she was stuck going to a comic book convention with her dad. I was hoping there'd be wifi at the hotel and then she could just play Minecraft while her father spent her college fund on comic books.

Saturday was a lot of fun. We stopped at a distillery and sampled some brandy and whatnot. Then we stopped for lunch at a pizza place. One member of our group is vegan and this particular joint has vegan toppings (for an exorbitant upcharge, but still).  After that, we stopped at a candy store and a few other places. We stopped at a little boutique that had a shop dog. Who doesn't love a shop dog?

We spent the rest of the afternoon and evening drinking, eating, and swimming.  Then we watched Saturday Night Live and wondered why it's never as funny as one wants it to be.

We headed back home Sunday afternoon. Then I spent the rest of the day catching up on stuff and taking selfies of me and my dog. Don't judge.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

Three cheers for headgear!

On Being Patriotic