Settling into vacation mode

The vacay is going well. The kid is having a good time playing with her cousins. She gives her boy cousin (age 4) a rack of shit every chance she gets, though. She thinks that being a cousin is an elected position and that she can throw him out of office whenever she wants. "He's not my cousin anymore!" she says when she gets mad at him. She also announced that when her cousin was a baby, he was in her tummy. So yeah, the poor kid is pretty confused. It's no wonder we've continued to drag our feet about the whole "you're adopted" conversation.

The other day I asked her, "Are you being sassy?" and she said, "No, I'm a begetarian!"

On Sunday night we got a sitter and went out with my sister and her boyfriend. My sister and I proceeded to get plowed and then to sing Journey songs while playing pool. And trust me when I say I do NOT play pool, so you know I had to be pretty far gone even to agree to it. When we got there my sister's boyfriend warned her that she could only play "two Journey songs." I thought he said "two dirty songs" and I could not figure out what sort of jukeboxes my sister had been listening to in the past.

Yesterday we spent most of the afternoon at the pool, which was fun. Any chance we get to wear the kid out a little, we take it.

Last night I got together with a couple of friends from high school while P hung out with his kid. J and Kevin are really the only two high school friends I still keep track of. I picked J up and we drove into the District to see Kevin's new condo. We had a few drinks, they made fun of my minivan, and so it went. They compared notes on the gay bar scene in DC while I munched on hundreds of thousands of tortilla chips (I can't wait to weigh in when I get back - ugh.)

Today we headed south to Woodbridge. We brought my nine-year-old niece along. P wanted to go to the new Marine Corps museum so he dropped us off at IKEA. They have a play area at IKEA so I thought I could drop A off there. She is 36 inches tall and she needed to be 37 inches in order to gain entry. I begged the lady to make an exception, but she wouldn't hear of it. I was mightily irritated because really, it's just an inch. I could see if she wasn't potty-trained, but she is. I wasn't asking them to forgive half a foot or anything - just one measly inch! Anyway, my niece did a great job of entertaining her cousin and keeping track of her. I rewarded her by buying her some stuff and some pizza. Seriously, I need to rent a fourth-grader when I get back home. It made the whole excursion a lot easier.

So, that is the blow-by-blow so far. I need to get back to my compulsive overeating now . . .

Comments

Mary said…
Begetarian's are a bit sassy aren't they??;) Good thing you have this blog so your daughter can see some of the funny things she has said in her youngin' years.
Glad to hear that your sister listens to Jouney songs and not dirty songs.... you never know.;)I don't know what IKEA stand for.... but ya, the lady could have let it go... ;)

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

Three cheers for headgear!

On Being Patriotic