Oops (Plus Random Vacation Thoughts)

Remember about six months ago when my iPod went missing? I blamed a random anonymous youth at the Y for taking it. I also blamed P for leaving my purse sitting on the floor unattended for 1/2 hour while the kid and I were in a Mommy & Me swim class. Well, guess what turned up on Saturday? We were unloading our car at the beach and I heard P say, "Hey, isn't that an iPod?" The second and third row seats in our van can be folded into the floor. The third row simply folds down, but the second row contains two "Captain's Chairs" and those fold up and then each one slides into its respective hole in the floor. Well, "slides" is pushing it a little - it is not as easy as it looks in the commercials, trust me. On the commercials it almost seemed like you could stow those buggers with simply the power of your thoughts, when in reality you pretty much have to break a sweat to get 'er done. When the chairs are not being stowed, those two compartments have a flap over them and can be used for storage. Anywho . . . when the iPod first disappeared, I searched the van about a skillion times. How it rattled around in there for six months and then suddenly appeared in one of the storage compartments on Saturday - I have no earthly idea.

The good news is that now P can have an iPod, too. No doubt he will be delighted to mow the lawn henceforth since he can listen to his crappy music while he does so.

Anyway, back to the beach . . . the trip to Ocean City NJ took us out of our way and cost us far too much money, but it was worth it. We found a hotel room about a block off the boardwalk. The lady said we "got the very last room," which, I suspect, she tells every hapless tourist who wanders in there.

Our hotel room had two double beds. I slept with the kid, thinking I'd have more room that way. P and I have a king size bed at home and I've grown used to having ample space. What a mistake I made, though. It was the longest night of my life. At times I felt convinced that someone had replaced my kid with that little girl born in India with all the extra legs. I woke up every hour on the hour to find a size 7 toddler foot in the small of my back. Or, seemingly, lots of feet. In desperation, I pushed her towards the edge of the bed where . . . she promptly fell off. P accidentally poked her in the eye on Saturday so really, he is still the worse parent.

We did have a fun day at the beach, though. A liked the ocean at first and then grew a bit frightened of it. She napped under our umbrella for a while and then resumed digging in the sand with her pail and "shubble." P wouldn't get in the water, because he is a pussy. I, however, missed the summers of my youth when we took annual family trips to Myrtle Beach. I couldn't wait to get smacked in the head by a wave. So, I swam out into the sea and before long I was ass over teakettle as wave after wave knocked me under. It is now Tuesday and I think I still have sand in places where sand ought not to be.

We spent the evening walking on the boardwalk and eating junk food. We hit a small amusement park and tried out a few rides. A and I went on a caterpillar rollercoaster, which did not make me sick, in case you are having a flashback to my recent ill-fated voyage aboard the Tilt-a-Whirl. The next day she told a stranger at a rest stop allllll about the rollercoaster. She also tried to get him to buy her some "neminems." Watching her talk to strangers the way she does . . . it really scares me to think of what sort of information about our family she might be imparting at preschool.

The trip home was pretty grueling, I have to admit. We stayed overnight in Toledo. The next morning we gave serious consideration to simply living in Toledo. Not because we have any particular affection or affinity for Toledo - we just couldn't bear the thought of getting back into the van. The poor kid watched the same DVDs over and over. After a while she just kept saying, "I just wanna go home and play dress-up." I could hardly blame her.

So, the party's over. I weighed myself this morning and had to check to make sure that my cat had not climbed onto the scale with me or something. But no, it was just me and my fat arse. :::SIGH:::


Dancing on the boardwalk


First time in the ocean


Vodka - wheeeeeee!


The kid took this one of her own feet


With her cousin on the Metro

Comments

Unknown said…
I know of the "joys" of traveling by car/van on vacation. I can sympathize with you. I'm glad you had a safe trip and am looking forward to more blogging.

I bet your boxer babies were glad to see you get back!
Jess said…
Too funny...I know you were quite tired and aggrivated though. But trust me...it's hilarious from my end!

Glad you had fun and made it home ok...
Mary said…
I hope you got down on your knees and begged for P's forgiveness now....;) Glad you are home safely and blogging again, I need my laugh and good reading.;) It sounds like you have a very nice vacation. We always seem to go a little over in the spending too, I remember once we invited Sarah's 3 friends to Florida, big mistake those kids ate like piggies!!;)Thought that was pretty funny too how you shoved A right out of bed too. I have to say too the road trip usually does suck especially with kids, I remember doing straight drives just to get it over with. A is a very lucky girl to have so many adventures!! Glad you are all back safely!!

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

On Being Patriotic

Three cheers for headgear!