Weeeekend

I was fortunate to have the opportunity to attend a little getaway weekend with some of my fellow rescue volunteers. It was a chicks-only sort of thing.  There were eight of us. Some of us didn't know each other that well (we live in different parts of the state), so it was nice to have an opportunity to get to know everyone a little better. We all have Boxers, so of course we have something in common right off the bat. I've been feeling really down lately so I was glad for the opportunity to get away and do some fun stuff.

I got up early on Saturday (because the dogs say it is against their religion to let me sleep past 5:30 a.m. even on a weekend) and went to Weight Watchers at 8. I knew it would be chilly yesterday, but I also needed to wear lightweight clothing. If you've ever been a member of Weight Watchers, you get what I'm saying. I mean, I will blow my nose and take out my contact lenses if I think it will help me on the scale. Anyway, I wore leggings. I mention this because we all met at 11 a.m. at a St. Patrick's Day parade. The wind was whipping around and I think it was only 30-something degrees. I was a weeeeee bit cold in my leggings and lightweight clothing.  It was a lot of fun, though. A lot of the "floats" consisted of people drinking beer and throwing candy at children.

We then went out to lunch (I splurged on a Falafel burger and fries) and then went to a winery and did some shopping before checking in at the resort where we were staying. We hung out for a little while and then went to the nearby market to grab some stuff for dinner. We mostly ate munchies and stuff for dinner. I had a spinach salad. My friend Rebecca brought an extra vegan walnut bugger so I ate that as well. My friend Laurie brought vegan Oreo cupcakes that she had made. I have to say I was really touched that she went to the extra trouble to make something I could eat, too. Now, I have to say that vegan baking can be a little tricky. A lot of times, the ingredients are so weird that you can't find them anywhere. Then the baking itself can be a little hit or miss. However, they were fabulous! I only ate one but it was well worth the gazillion Weight Watchers points.  I swam a few laps in the pool after dinner in case that might help.

After swimming (half of us brought swim suits and the other half "forgot"), we mostly just hung out and made fun of the Kardashians and whatnot.  There was a lot of shop talk, since we all volunteer for the same rescue.

When it was time for bed, I got a king-sized bed to myself and that was pretty exciting. There was no snoring and no doggies. Ahhhh.

The eight of us met for breakfast this morning.  The resort provides breakfast, but I had brought some fruit and a granola bar from home just to make sure I got back on track today. As soon as I sat down, Laurie's phone rang. We have a general number for the rescue and it rings on multiple volunteers' cell phones at once. I had left my phone in our suite. Anyway, Laurie fielded the call and it turned out to be a woman who needed to surrender her sick dog. The dog was in the emergency clinic and she could not afford the care. I couldn't really blame her - vet bills can get very high, very quickly.  The vet didn't know what was wrong with the dog, but we learned that Prince had a 106 degree temperature, a pain in his neck, and he wasn't eating or drinking. Pancreatitis and meningitis were possible suspects.

No one kicks into high gear quite like a group of rescue volunteers. Many phone calls were made and before I knew it, I'd made plans to meet the owner this afternoon to have her sign a surrender form. I also talked to my vet about transferring Prince from emergency care to his clinic (which the rescue uses regularly). Our local emergency vet is only open when the other vet clinics are closed.

Before calling the getaway a done deal, we squeezed in a little more shopping.  In one shop, I handed the nice owner guy my phone and asked him to take a photo of us.  He took this:



Then he tried again and got our group this time:


After meeting Prince's owner and taking care of paperwork, I took Sheriff to his new home this afternoon.  I can't say that my dogs are too sad about it.  They're getting too old for Sheriff's brand of craziness, I think. I'm happy for the big nut, though. His new family is totally ready for his shenanigans.

Here is the new guy I logged into rescue today. Prince seemed pretty scared but we'll make sure that he gets everything he needs. He is stable right now.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

On Being Patriotic

Three cheers for headgear!