Even togetherness and celebrations must end

We just got back from our weekend out of town. The final tally:

Visits to the play area: 3
Visits to the pool: 3

All were extended visits, so I think she got her fill. Oh, who am I kidding - we could've taken her a hundred times and it wouldn't have been enough.  The good news is that the kid is old enough to get in the pool without us. I swam with her twice but sat out for one swimming session. I've also signed her up for some more swimming lessons at the Y. The next round of classes starts on February 27th. When she was swimming in the resort pool on Saturday (while I sat nearby, reading a book), at times I could see an expression of frustration on her face. She had managed to befriend every kid in the pool, but was restricted to the 3-feet depth area by her height. There's nothing I can do to make her taller, but at least I can try to help her be a better swimmer by taking her to classes.

When we weren't swimming or hanging out at the indoor playground, we read, watched TV, played games, and ate.  We went out to lunch and did a bit of shopping on Saturday.  All in all, it was a wonderful weekend - very relaxing.  It was wonderful just to sit around and not feel like I needed to be doing something constructive. The kid trashed her room (we had a two-bedroom suite) and I didn't say a word. If you know me, then you know how hard it was for me to suppress that urge. The three us of spent a lot of time together.  We ate too much junk, I'm sure. I need to get my act together or my spring/summer clothes will not fit. Instead of getting me a birthday cake this year, my husband went to a bakery and ordered six fancy gourmet cupcakes. They were good in a way that makes me think they should probably be illegal.

I'd have to say that the highlight of family togetherness came on Saturday evening when I heard my darling child standing outside the bathroom door: "Mom! I hear you peeing!" 

So, I guess we are done celebrating my birthday now. We can get back to focusing on my daughter's May 3rd birthday, which is definitely her preference anyway.  I still have one iTunes gift card (thanks, Rach!) to spend and a check from my grandma. I have been doing a good job of spending other people's money lately. I also received gift cards from Lush, Bath & Body Works, and Amazon. My middle sister got me a chalice necklace (the chalice is the symbol of my religion).  My mom got me a watch and some earrings. My husband and daughter got me a beaded Boxer I've been fondling for months. I made out like a bandit, ya'll!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm sure I need to yell at somebody about something.




Raise your hand if you wish you had curls like that.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

On Being Patriotic

Three cheers for headgear!