Color me over-extended

First off, I did indeed go to my Weight Watchers meeting on Saturday, in case you wondered. Let it not be said that I am not a woman of my word. Normally, Nan at the scale would say something along the lines of, "You're not too far off; you're doing fine." On Saturday she busted out with, "You're up quite a bit." Well, see, I know because . . . I own a scale.

The meeting topic was highly relevant for me: emotional eating. For the past few days, I have been repeating the mantra from the meeting: "if hunger is not the problem, food is not the answer." Sometimes food tells me that it is the answer if I just ask the right question. Nonetheless, I recommitted myself to the program and so far this week has gone pretty well. I think part of my problem is that I am trying to do too much every day. By late afternoon, I am feeling pretty brittle and it doesn't take much to break me. Over-scheduled and over-extended, that's me.

On Monday nights, we have swim class. I am not one of those moms who puts her kid in every activity. She likes swim class and I feel like it's one of those skills that's as necessary as it is fun. Getting her to swim class on time involves packing a bag with her swimsuit and towel, putting dinner on the table, and then getting out the door with her by 6:05 p.m. It's harder than it sounds, in as much as there is laundry to be put away and dogs and cats needing to be fed (well, just one cat - but she is moderately Rubenesque).

On Tuesdays, I go to step aerobics. Sure, I could live without going to aerobics and indeed I do take the instructor's name in vain the whole time I am there, but when I leave, I am so physically exhausted that whatever I was fretting about on the way to class simply dissipates into thin air. Getting there on time is, again, a challenge. The class starts at 5:25 and is 20 minutes away. I try to get dinner on the table before I go but some weeks it's more like my husband and daughter are catching a sandwich in mid-air as I am flying down the driveway.

On Wednesdays, I take Gretchen to obedience class. She has progressed into the Novice class, which starts at 5:00. If you thought I had a hard time getting out the door for aerobics, you should see me on Wednesdays. My husband gets home at 4:40, the exact time I have to leave for class. The class is, again, an activity that is not required, but I am determined to compete in Obedience and possibly Agility and Gretchen is coming along whether she likes it or not. I should add that she's actually doing quite well in class. She no longer needs a training collar and has started going off-leash work.

On Thursday nights, P works his second job. I try to get caught up with housework on Thursdays so that I don't have to do it on the weekend. Nothing ruins a Saturday like a load of laundry. I don't get as much done as I'd like because, as you may have guessed, my daughter requires a high degree of interaction. She is not the do-a-puzzle-quietly-in-her-room type.

Things do settle down by Friday night and even though weekends are also heavily scheduled, they are less stressful. I think I just need to make sure I stop signing us up for obedience classes and swim classes in the same session. I'm also anxious for school to end, because right now our schedules are tied to that. I have to get to work by 7 in order to pick the kid up at 3:30. And getting to work at 7 is a fantastic feat, let me tell you - particularly since my friends at the highway department decided to rip apart the bridge that I need to cross in order to get to work.

Anyway, enough with the whining. Yes, I am insanely busy (and I didn't even mention the mucho hours I spend every week as a rescue volunteer), but please know that I did take time out to enjoy a tea party with my curly girly yesterday. We drank tea and spoke very formally about how pajama day at school had been such a meaningful experience for her, as well as covering other sundry topics.

"Excuse me, Miss Hostess," I said, "My tea cup has teeth marks on it, kinda like a dog has been chewing on it."

She frowned, irritated that I'd bring up such an unseemly topic during such a refined affair.

"I notice you have a contusion on your forehead. How did you get that?" I asked.

A raised her hand to her head. "I falled at the back door," she replied.

"Now, this is just my personal opinion, but I really think you should consider falling down much less frequently." I took another sip of my air tea.

She nodded and raised her chin. "I will consider it."


Jodi said…
A cracks me up. Seriously.

You are one busy woman! All day at work, I have this mental list of things I'm going to do at home that night. Yeah....none of it ever happens. Until the weekend.
Anonymous said…
Slow down woman!
SJ said…
Don't forget, on Tuesday and Wednesday, that MEN CAN COOK! ;)
Anonymous said…
Sharon, I cook everyday.
Sara Groomsell said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
sanjeet said…
I do, however, get to play with remote control cars!
Web hosting india

Popular posts from this blog

On Being Patriotic

Three cheers for headgear!

14 Weeks