Thanks, Lady!

A few weeks ago I posted an entry regarding my daughter's habit of calling strangers "Mommy" and "Daddy." In an effort to curb this practice, I started making a concerted effort to introduce her to people by name whenever possible. I figure that if I head her off and give her their actual name, she won't go making one up. I don't understand why she can't just say "Hi!" like a normal kid and leave it at that.

In swim class at the Y on Monday, A and I were practicing a maneuver whereby she floats on her back and kicks her legs. I thought she was being totally half-assed about it, but nonetheless the instructor looked at her and exclaimed "Good job!" A replied, "Thanks, lady!" The other day at the grocery store she greeted the cashier with a "Hi, lady!" I cannot decide if this is better or worse than calling people "Mommy" and "Daddy." It's probably a slight improvement.

Yesterday she and I stopped at Steve & Barry's to buy some birthday gifts for her cousin. (Yes, he is 4 and would rather have toys, but his mother specifically told me to buy clothes because he needs them and besides, he has been naughty and most of his toys are being held hostage at this time anyway.) Anywho . . . I found some clothes for my nephew and headed to the register. The cashier said hi. A said, "Hi, my name is A_________." So he responded, "Hi, my name is John." Her: "Hi John! This is my friend, Mother." I sheepishly explained that she keeps calling me Mother and that I can't seem to make it stop. John asked me how old the kid is and I replied that she is 2 1/2. "Oh, my son is 2 1/2 and doesn't say much." I almost envied him but then I remembered some of the moms I know who are dealing with speech therapy for their children. I suppose I should be glad that she is so articulate.

John handed me the credit card slip for my signature. I signed it and handed it back. "Is it your name?" A asked, regarding the signature. "Does it say Mother?" I have to admit I thought it was hilarious that she thought I would sign the slip with "Mother." I don't think the people at the bank would be amused.

As we were leaving the store she started to monkey around and run off when I tried to put her coat on her. Lately we are enjoying single-digit temperatures, so the coat was non-negotiable. "I'm going to tell John that you are being naughty in his store," I said. She looked genuinely alarmed. "Don't tell John what I am doing in his store!"

A gives her full name to strangers all the time. She says it like this: First Middle Middle Last. We don't know why she includes her middle name twice, but she gets really mad if you tell her it only goes in there once. Her middle name is my sister's first name, so my sister says, "I don't see what the problem is." Anyway, everywhere we go my kid is introducing herself to complete strangers and uses her full name. If she knew her social security number, she would give that to them, too. We aren't planning to tell her our home address anytime soon.

Comments

Drasch23 said…
I love Adrienne sooo much.
Hearts of Hope said…
Overly articulate 2 year olds are a blast! Wait til the next time you go to Steve and Barry's and she whips out a feminine hygiene product and says "Hey Mother, May I show this slingshot to John?" :-)

Enjoy that beautiful baby girl!
Tracy said…
Hee Hee! I have a son is speech therapy and a 2.5 yr old articulate girl. All I can say is the girl has provided me way more public humiliation than my son! While I take him to therapy, I ask if there is a way I can de-program her. My favorite was in church on Chirstmas eve, I was holding her facing me with her legs around my waist and she waited for the most quiet part of the service to exclaim, "Mommy! Don't touch my bum!" Lovely. I feel you pain!
Anonymous said…
AGAIN...pure laughter and sympathy. I too have a 2.5 yr old who tells me, "this is my friend, Daddy"
Once at a restaurant, she shouted, "Man, Man, I need some bread...please!" gotta love them!!!
Tammi

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

Three cheers for headgear!

On Being Patriotic