Halloween, take two

We attended two Halloween events yesterday - the first road test for the cat costume. I did make a couple of improvements on the costume since you last saw it. I am not artsy-craftsy and I cannot sew, so this puts me at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to Halloween costumes. I picked up some fabric paint and added a white belly to the leotard.

I said, "You'll be like Sylvester!" and she replied, "Who?" Kids these days. They do NOT know good cartoons.

I also retooled the make-up. I decided to skip the kitty nose. She said she couldn't smile while wearing the nose, because the nose would sort of slip into her mouth. And I think we can all agree that having a nose in your mouth is a bad thing. I decided it would be best to stick with a standard whiskers scenario.

Finally, I felt like the costume still needed something, so the kid and I decided that a boa would be just the thing. I tried several stores, looking for a black and white boa. Boas are not as plentiful as one might think. I finally ended up ordering one online from a novelty shop. It arrived in the mail on Friday. I could see right away that the feathers were not well attached. Perhaps I should have looked for a more upscale boa store. I took the boa out back and shook the bejeebers out of it, hoping to free any loose feathers. When I was done, it looked like I'd executed a penguin on the deck. White and black feathers everywhere.

When she got ready yesterday, she asked for a collar. So, I quickly made one using leftover elastic (I bought elastic to hold the tail on). I made her wait until we were in the garage before adding the boa to her ensemble. The boa lost a bunch more feathers in the garage, which now also looks like an avian homicide scene.

We ended up ditching the boa as soon as we got to the first event. The feathers were flying everywhere and bits and pieces were getting stuck all over her.  Ah well, not all of my ideas are good ones. Everything else worked out pretty well. When she headed to the restroom at the first event, I shouted after her, "Keep your tail out of the toilet!"  This was met with an oh-my-God-you-are-so-embarrassing look. I'm expecting to receive a few thousand more over the next few years.

The second event was at the local zoo. We paid $24.00 for the three of us to get in, so that my daughter could walk out with $.50 worth of candy. I'll just add the $23.50 to her tab.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

On Being Patriotic

Three cheers for headgear!