Here's your change, ma'am

You may have seen a link to this article going around on Facebook a few days ago.  A lot of my friends were sharing it, particularly my childhood/high school friends . . . probably because we're all 43ish and the article describes many of us to a T.

A few years ago, I was watching "So You Think You Can Dance" (don't judge me) and became enamored with a dancer named Phillip Chbeeb. He was really talented and had lips that kinda made me swoon a little.  I watched him dance and then at some point I came to the sad realization that . . . I am basically old enough to be his mother. I mean, he was born in 1988, the year I graduated high school, so, I mean, it's feasible. Every year I watch the show and the contestants stay the same age while I've morphed into an older (and apparently dirtier) old lady. :::sigh::::

Everything in the article is true, so true. While I do my best to avoid wearing pants with an elasticized waist, I will admit to having at least one pair of jeans that boasts a "comfort waistband."  And yes, my contacts are bi-focals. Small print is a challenge.  My optometrist recently had me try a new brand of bi-focal contacts. It was a disaster. I was sending crazy text messages to my friends and family because I couldn't really see my phone.  I had a hell of a time setting the digital thermostat in our home. "I've either set it for 68 or 86," I told my husband. "It's hard to say."

My daughter is visiting my parents in Oklahoma right now. My mom showed my daughter a photo of me when I was a teenager. The kid didn't even recognize me. "She looks so young!" exclaimed my daughter.  To her, there is no way I existed prior to May 3, 2005. She doesn't believe we were born the same day or anything like that, but she does seem to think that her dad and I materialized out of thin air and then showed up at the hospital that day to pick her up. But yes, I was young once.  I wore acid wash jeans and other questionable styles. I did some ill-advised things to my hair. I dated wrongish boys and made bad decisions.

Then I graduated college, got a job, married a boy, bought a house, and fell into grown-uphood. And then, somewhere along the way, I shot past the mid-point of my life (there is no way I will live into my 80s, ya'll) and here I am . . . with my dramatically slower metabolism and my sensible shoes and my bad habits that are here to stay.

At yoga class yesterday morning, the instructor had us go from a standing posture (tadasana) into a squat. We all squatted down (we being a group of women in the age range of 30-55) and at least eight knees made loud popping noises. We all laughed. "Ah," I thought, "At least I am in good company."

Proof that I was young (and that I existed prior to 2005)

Comments

The Lovely One said…
I asked Bug the other day how old she thought I was. Her answer was 26. At first I was flattered that she thought I was so young, but the real issue is that she thinks 26 is so old, and my true age of 39 is beyond her realm of imagination!

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

Three cheers for headgear!

On Being Patriotic