Much Ado About Poop

It's no secret that the average three-year-old's sense of humor leans towards the scatological. Bodily functions, after all, are inherently funny - I mean, a fart is its own punchline. When male kids grow up, they continue to find amusement there. There are days, though, when all the talk of burping, farting, and pooping does start to wear a bit thin.

The other night at dinner, our sweet little petunia sang this:

Little Bo Peep, she lost her sheep
And then Little Bo Peep pooped in Father's butt!

[Insert raucous laughter here.]

We've tried explaining that such topics aren't really acceptable anywhere, much less at the dinner table. In the car, she holds Minnie Mouse in her lap and then pulls Minnie's tail up so that the mouse can fart. Over and over and over again. That Minnie - she's no lady. I don't care if she does wear high heels and a polka-dot dress.

Our daughter is prone to making random comments like, "Giddy has poop in his heinie." Or, when I am changing into my pajamas: "I see your butty-butt-butt!" Modesty and social graces have gone out the window. No topic is off limits. "Father has a butt right on his back!" she told me recently.

Oddly enough, for all the talk of bodily output, she doesn't want us looking at hers. She uses the, um, facilities with the door wide open but then shouts, "DON'T LOOK AT MY POOP!" if we happen to walk by.

My little sunshine buttercup. :::sigh:::

Comments

Anonymous said…
Are you sure you don't live at my house?
Sam said…
I question whether I'm a real grownup when I read things like this post and laugh and laugh and laugh...
Anonymous said…
My little ray of sunshine informed the Mayor of our town- "You know my mom doesn't have a penis! But that's okay me and my brother's are going to buy her one." - while I was onstage getting an award for volunteering for a local kids organization.

When I got back to our table the Mayor was laughing so hard tears where running down his face. He informed me my secret was out. I don't know if he thought my lacking a penis was funny or that my son thought you could go buy one.

The Mayor was kind enough to share that story with some of the courthouse guards so now I get a chuckle pretty much every time I enter the building.

OUt of the mouths of babes!
Kalinda said…
Ohhhh, it's so good to know my lil guy is not the only 3.5 yo out there making up songs about poop!! (His usually involve made up words, too, like poopy-flee-laa)

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

Three cheers for headgear!

On Being Patriotic