Like a Kid in an (iTunes) Shop

My fabulous siblings bought me iTunes gift cards for my birthday. So, I had $55.00 to spend. I was excited about it - probably abnormally so. I've spent about half of it so far. I got some old stuff (Johnny Cash, New Order), some new stuff (Lily Allen, M. Ward, Animal Collective), and some weird stuff (Who else but Morrissey would release a song called "Something is Squeezing My Skull"?)

I am accepting song recommendations* if you know of a song that will change my life. My friend Leslie told me that the song "Pink Moon" by Nick Drake would change my life and in fact it did not. I had to hound her for the better part of a year until she finally gave me my dollar back. So keep that in mind before you toss some crappy little ditty my way.

I promise I'll post a more meaningful blog entry later this week. Right now most of my energy is being funneled into entertaining my mother, who is visiting from Oklahoma (where the wind comes sweeping down the plains).

*Unless it's a country song, and then I'm not.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I like Martin Sexton's version of Purple Rain and his album Seeds, also Matt Nathanson and Matt Wertz. MySpace is great for finding new or new to you music.

Bill borrowed my iPod to see what new music I had added and pointed out that I could listen to my iPod all day for a year straight and not hear the same song twice.

Guess what I won- a 120G iPod- which was extra lucky because I think my current one is about to die and is full.

And there are some good country songs out there.
Anonymous said…
I asked Josh to get me my Walkman the other day- he left the room and came back five minutes later asking what a walkman was. I meant my iPod of course.

Yes, it was a bad brain day!
Anonymous said…
My recommendation would be Barenaked Ladies-Bank Job. Life changing? No. Good song with a great story? Yes.
Anything by Mazzy Star on the Tonight That I Might See album is great.
Anonymous said…
Have you ever tried Pandora radio at www.pandora.com.? You put in a song or artist and it will play songs for you with similar qualities. It's pretty awesome and does a good job with picking songs. As for my musical tastes, I am currently stuck in a jason mraz phase or as my 22 yr old son calls it, "my white 20-something year old male artist music"
Jen said…
We get into the groove with They Might Be Giants "The Guitar". It's odd, and you'll recognize the chorus as familiar...in a totally different kind of way.

But it's a fun "hey, we all can jive to this" song.
Anonymous said…
I'm with Laurie on the Jason Mraz. I have to listen to The Remedy and I'm Yours at least once a day currently. I try to get my sons to dance with me as we have it blaring- two of them will and one looks at us like we have lost it. Have to check out the other recommendations.
Audreee said…
There's one song I forgot to mention. It's called "Heart it Races" by Architecture in Helsinki.
I dare you to not, at the very least, tap your foot to this song.
Anonymous said…
Pit Bull Blues, by John Shipe. I just want him to make money off this wonderful song!

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

On Being Patriotic

Three cheers for headgear!