The Sad Truth About My Parents

As you know, I've been threatening to put my parents in a "home" for some time now ("with a special wing for dementia!"). The biggest hurdle I face, however, is that they are only in their 50s. Apparently I am supposed to wait until they've actually retired and are decidedly infirm. Eccentricity is not a solid diagnosis all on its own, it seems. Now, however, I think I have a bit of proof that they are unable to care for themselves. My daughter drew this portrait of them today and I have to tell you: it is pretty accurate.

She started to write "Granddaddy" at the top and ran out of room. As you can see, neither of my parents has a nose. But, it's okay - they have each other and that's the most important thing. They both have ears, so there's that. My mother has a very large head, whereas my dad's noggin is tragically undersized. They have three fingers on each hand, but they are strong people and they do not let their deformities get them down. The biggest deficiency of all, of course is this: neither has a torso. Their limbs are attached directly to their skulls.

It's a wonder my sisters and I turned out halfway normal.

Speaking of Meemaw, her birthday is coming up on Wednesday. She is not allowed to speak to my daughter until then, however, because the kid will sing like a canary and tell her Meemaw exactly what we've sent her for her birthday. I have a whole other story about the shopping excursion for the birthday gifts, but that'll have to wait.



Comments

Susie said…
What a great artist you've got there! A is truly an all around awesome girl, isn't she? And the fact that she can write that many letters, well, that's just darned impressive. You need to come back to OK so A can teach Matthew how to write! Love it!
Mary said…
You TOTALLY crack me up!! I so look forward to what you write because it will either be interesting, witty, or hilarious!! A sure is a great artist, it's always fun to see kids drawings!
Audreee said…
I happen to know this Meemaw and Granddaddy and I agree that it is very accurate!

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

On Being Patriotic

Three cheers for headgear!