Housebreaking, Day 1


We gave up on telling her that Mrs. Potato Head's glasses are only for Mrs. Potato Head.

I can't say that Day 1 was exactly a rousing success. I did manage to drag myself to a Weight Watchers meeting yesterday morning, so that's one noteworthy accomplishment for the day. There were only about 10 people there. I predict that after New Year's the joint will be standing room only.

After Weight Watchers I took A to a local book store for story time. She lasted through about two or three stories and then wandered off to poop her pants (this always happens - I don't know if it's that her body is well regulated or if there is something about the bookstore that gets her bowels moving). I decided to buy her a potty book. I chose one that shows human kids (as opposed to ducks and other animals that were sitting on the potty in some of the books) in case that might somehow inspire her.

On the way home she was "reading" the book in the backseat. I stopped at a light and out of the corner of my eye I saw the book hit the floor. I had the distinct impression that she had pitched it. I said, "Pie, did you just throw that book or did you accidentally drop it?" She looked at me very solemnly and replied, "I accidentally threw it." I didn't really have a response for that one.

After dinner we took off her diaper and followed her around the house with her toilet. We asked her about 4,789 times if she needed to go potty. She held her output until 8 p.m., at which time we needed to go ahead and get her in her pajamas and put her to bed. The only thing we really accomplished is that this little exercise taught us that the kid is technically capable of controlling her bodily functions.

We'll keep plugging away at it, but I think we have a rough road ahead of us. At the end of the day I'm usually left with this vague feeling that I've lost the battle AND the war.

Comments

Mary said…
Nothing personal but I think A would look better in the purple glasses and Claudia, I think green is your color.;) Thanks for the smiles and Merry Christmas!!

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

Three cheers for headgear!

Senior Year: The Bittersweet Lasts