This, That, and the Other Thing
Wanna hear it? Here it go:
- My new nephew was born on Tuesday the 21st. He arrived a day early, via cesarean section. My sister laments that with two c-sections under her belt (literally), her career as a bikini model will likely never kick into gear now. I will be meeting the new pipsqueak next month when A and I visit Oklahoma (where the wind comes sweeping down the plain) for Thanksgiving. I have been assured that the new kid does have red hair and is thereby eligible for Christmas gifts from Auntie Claudia.
- My friend's husband has a lump in/on his quadriceps muscle. They've just learned that the mass is malignant. It's in a very precarious spot, frightening close to the femoral artery, so surgery is going to be a bit dicey. I have to say that Kris and Paul are, generally speaking, as upbeat as two people have a right to be. They are only focusing on the positive. (I'd be Mrs. Worst Case Scenario under the same circumstances, which probably isn't all that helpful.)
- Thursday was supposed to be A's last night in her swim class at the Y (she'll move up to the next level and start her next round of classes in January). She was excited because I was supposed to get in the pool with her. "I'll show you how to do it, Mama!" she exclaimed. You also get to go down the big twisty slide as a treat on the last night. Well, about twenty minutes before we had to leave, she came to me crying and clutching her right ear. The word "Amoxicillin" flashed through my head. I took her to the urgent care joint and sure enough, we had our prescription for the pink stuff ten minutes later. As a consolation prize for missing swim class, I got her some pink ice cream with sprinkles. I can't believe any kid of mine likes strawberry ice cream. She's lucky I let her stick around.
- After six months in rescue, Chloe (my foster dog) finally got an inquiry last week. They are coming to meet her on Saturday. She's a sweet dog and I'm not in any particular hurry to get her into a new home, but she did chew up a plastic potato and a pink tiara yesterday. She also eats baby wipes. I caught her with one the other day and when she saw me coming for her, she quickly pulled it up through her lips like a child sucking up a spaghetti noodle. So, she's cute but not THAT cute.
- And finally, I decided to get more diligent about tracking my Weight Watchers points each day. I normally just sort of keep them in my head and hope I'm close. The thing is, it's a well-established fact that I do not have a head for numbers. I didn't major in English for no reason. I'm happy to report that, although it is time-consuming to calculate and track everything I eat, I did lose a bit of weight this week. On Saturday, I had a busy day at a rescue event and actually had some points left over at the end of the day. So . . . I drank 'em.
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. Buh-bye! (Back in the days before my stad stopped drinking, he would call my mom and then say "buh-bye" before he hung up. My mom would get mad as a hornet and say, "Who the hell is buh-bye? Is he related to Popeye?")