Excuse me, would you like to see 749 photos of my new puppy? (748 of which are blurry because he doesn't stop moving)

We picked up our new Boxer puppy yesterday. I named him Grover, mostly after the Muppet. We drove a couple hours to get him and had to get up fairly early. We needed to get back to town in time for the kid to attend a friend's birthday party. I drove there and my husband drove back. My daughter and I sat in the backseat with the new addition. We'd brought along some towels and whatnot, plus some cleaning supplies in case anyone pooped in the car on the way home. The kid was so excited. She didn't look at her iPad for the rest of the day, which is probably some kind of record for her. She also slept on the floor with him last night and even let him outside in the middle of the night. I'm sure the novelty will wear off soon, but I like sleep and if she wants to get up with him, I am happy to let her. When we got him home yesterday, I gave him a bath in the kitchen sink. Later, he walked through his own poop but hey, he was clean for a minute or two there.

Our other Boxer, Gretchen, is adjusting pretty well.  Older dogs usually give puppies a "puppy pass" and do not correct unsportsmanlike conduct until the pup is a bit more mature. Our foster dog, Agent (a German Shepherd), on the other hand, is afraid of the puppy. He is hiding under my desk as I type this. We are mostly keeping the puppy away from him and are hoping that he will adjust soon. I guess I can't blame the fella for not wanting a puppy chewing on his fluffy tail. 

Life will be a whirlwind for a while, I guess.  This morning I'd cleaned up two piles o'poo and one puddle o'pee before 7 a.m. Grover played tug-of-war with my pajama pants (while I was wearing them) and bit P in the Achilles tendon. Toys are strewn everywhere. Chaos is the new normal. Once again I am reminded of why puppies are so cute - it's the only way anyone lets them live to see their first birthday.













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

On Being Patriotic

Three cheers for headgear!