Mother-Daughter Book Club

For several years now, I've been trying to interest my daughter in books that *I* like. I've had no luck so far.  I was so sure she'd fall in love with:
  • The Phantom Tollbooth
  • From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
  • Charlotte's Web
  • Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself
Alas, she did not. We typically go to the library once a month. Last time, I encouraged her to check out Anne of Green Gables and A Wrinkle in Time. I loved  A Wrinkle in Time when I was a kid. She hasn't even opened it and it's due tomorrow. She is required to read 20 minutes a day for school. Despite testing at an 8th grade reading level (she's in 5th grade), she is not what you'd call a voracious reader. Usually, the only way to get her to do the reading is to put her iPad on top of the refrigerator. Then she stomps off to her room and does her reading. As for the books she chooses, it's usually tween-y type stuff. That's fine. I mean, I know I should be glad she reads at all. But still. 

When I was her age, I was a safety patrol. I worked with a crossing guard named Mrs. Chichester. She was so nice. Once, she asked me about my report card and I showed it to her. I had gotten good grades, and she gave me a $5 bill as a reward. Keep in mind that this was in 1981, so a fiver seemed like a pretty good deal. I rode my bike straight to a used book store and bought several books. Then I plowed through them. I was over the moon.

I think it's time to accept that my daughter doesn't have the same interests. She still has to read, though, so I came up with a new plan: a mother-daughter book club. Instead of choosing a book she likes or one that strikes a nostalgic note in my heart, I poked around and found one that lots of people seem to like: a book called Wonder.  It gets good reviews and such. I couldn't wait to tell my daughter about my plan.

"We're going to have our own book club!" I told her. I explained how we can read the book at the same time and then discuss it as we go.

I can't say that my proposal was met with a lot of enthusiasm. I watched for an eyeroll and listened for the exasperated sighing, but she mostly just looked at the floor. "Okay," she said, seeming to realize it would be hard to dissuade me. I've already purchased a copy of the book for and plan to download my copy onto my Kindle. 

Tweens are tricky, I tell you what. One minute she seems to wish I'd just drop through the floor (I am hearing the words, "Mom, you are NOT funny" an awful lot) and then the next minute she can't find the bagels or put conditioner in my hair by herself.

I think there is a strong possibility I will be reading this book by myself. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comments

The Lovely One said…
Bug's class read Wonder and she said she really liked it. But I agree that I can't get her to like anything that I read as a kid. Right now, she likes all the silly Dork Diaries, and she likes the comic books that are popular right now-- Drama, Sisters, and Smile.

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

Three cheers for headgear!

On Being Patriotic