G to the Randpa

My dad flew in from Maryland last week. He stayed with us for a week. It's been 17 years since I left the east coast and this was his first visit. He's retired now and has more time on his hands these days, so I issued an invitation and he promptly bought a plane ticket.

If my daughter has a fan club, I'd have to say that my dad is a charter member. He sends her texts on my phone (then I have to hand her my phone so that she can tap out a response). On Friday, I picked him up at the airport and then we drove to Kindercare to pick up the kid. She spotted Grandpa Ted and ran towards him. He scooped her up and gave her a big squeeze. "I came all this way just to see you!" he exclaimed. Um, Dad, you know I can hear you, right? 

We had a fun week. I still had to work during the week, but I pulled the kid out of school Tuesday afternoon so that she could drag Grandpa Ted to the park. P took Thursday off and went out to lunch and whatnot with my dad. Thursday was also Grandparents' Day at A's school. She was so excited to have a grandparent there this year. P's parents died in 2005/2006 and my relatives all live far away, so we don't have a lot of opportunities to spend time with my extended family. There was also a Scholastic book fair going on so I warned my dad that his granddaughter would probably take him to the cleaners in book purchases (she did).

Before I took my dad to the airport yesterday, he hugged the kid and said, "I love you very much. Always remember that, okay?"

I think the fan club should really look into having some custom tee shirts made.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

On Being Patriotic

Three cheers for headgear!