What's spinnin' on my turntable?

Just kidding, I don't have a turntable. I had one about a million years ago and can't decide how I feel about vinyl making a comeback. My very first album (purchased when I was a wee lass) was "Glass Houses" by Billy Joel. I still have a soft spot for the song "Sometimes a Fantasy." In retrospect, I am not sure that a fourth grader should have been singing lyrics like "only you can give me satisfaction," though.

I also owned "Chipmunk Punk" and "The Muppet Movie" soundtrack. That's some good stuff right there!  Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and meeeeeee

Every year, towards the end of the year, I pen a blog post about new music I've downloaded during that year.  I usually call it something like "the blog post that no one reads."  No one except Rachel, that is. And she is wondering why I didn't post my annual list at the end of 2015. I didn't buy a lot of new stuff in 2015, so that's probably why.  I had a lot of stuff going on in 2015, most of it bad. Music was not as much of a focus as it usually is.

So, Rachel, here is your list.  These are not necessarily songs that were released in 2015, but rather "the new-to-me stuff that I listened to the most."

Courtney Barnett: Pedestrian at Best

Iron & Wine and Ben Bridwell: This Must be the Place

Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats: S.O.B. (This song is getting popular now, so I will probably hate it soon).

Sean Rowe: Madman

Sleater-Kinney: Bury Our Friends

Lord Huron: Fool for Love

Bear's Den: Above the Clouds of Pompeii

Madisen Ward and the Mama Bear: Silent Movies

The Vaccines: Handsome

Andrea Boccelli: The Music of the Night  (he maketh me swoon)

And, last but not least: "Bitch Better Have My Money" by Rihanna.  Just kidding. I was beyond shocked to see this song showing up on some critics' "best of 2015" lists. Are they hearing the same song I'm hearing?

I will confess to a couple of guilty pleasures. I cannot sing my way out of a wet paper bag but I will belt out Adele's "Hello" with the best of them. Also, "Where they From" by Missy Elliott.

There ya go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

Three cheers for headgear!

On Being Patriotic