A Star is Born

Most of my friends have heard this story about 50 times, but I still like to tell it. When the kid was two or three, I pulled her to our neighborhood park in her wagon one sunny afternoon. It's about a 15-minute walk. As we rounded the corner for the final stretch towards the park, my daughter spotted some people on the playground.

"Oh, good," she said. "People will see me."

When we attended one of her show choir concerts last week, I was struck by how comfortable she looked on stage (and keep in mind that show choir involves singing and dancing). The auditorium was packed, as it was a choir invitational with lots of groups performing. As I watched her singing her heart out and executing the dance moves with confidence, I thought, "Oh good, people can see her."

I have noticed how much her confidence has grown after a year in the city choir and a season in show choir. She even helped to lead a hymn at church last week!

She was a nervous wreck while awaiting the results of the Aladdin audition, however. I know she really wanted the part of Jasmine or Genie. However, she also knew that she was competing against 7th and 8th graders with more experience. I mean, there's a big difference between an 11-year-old and a 14-year-old.  I reminded her that she should be glad to get any part and that being in a play would be a great learning experience for her. 80+ kids auditioned so the competition was pretty tough.

The results were posted Friday morning. She sent me a text right away: "I'm in Genie's Chorus!"  She sent me a screen shot of her name on the cast list. I was so relieved.  Later, I learned that her part is actually a little bigger than she realized initially. She's a Harem Girl, in the chorus, and is an "Attendant."  I do not know what some of this means, but I am currently sorting through the 16-page document that the director sent. It looks like my kid will be on stage a lot. So yeah, people will see her.

If you're starting to think, "Is this blog post just one big brag about her kid?" Um . . . maybe? Anyway, if you need me for the next three months, I'll be driving someone back and forth to rehearsals.

Comments

Sam said…
I am so happy for her!

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

On Being Patriotic

Three cheers for headgear!