The experiment - got an early start

I had planned to start my "can I do this vegan thing?" experiment at the end of the month. However, over the past few weeks I've been stocking up on vegan food items and last week I decided I may as well get the party started. I began my little journey on Friday the 13th. Since that time, the only non-vegan item I've eaten is a Boca veggie sausage (vegetarian but not vegan). Anyway . . . so far, so good.

Will I ever call myself a vegan? No, I don't think so. I've been doing some reading and from what I can tell from a lot of the message boards (as well as comments from vegans on various articles I've read), a lot of vegans are downright militant. It seems like no vegan can be a good enough vegan to satisfy the other tribe members. Vitamin D, for example, can be animal-derived or synthetic. Also, sugar is usually filtered with bone char. For a lot of vegans, if you consume sugar or D3, you may as well put a bullet in your own head. I just don't ever want to be in a position of having someone looking at my plate and telling me what I've done wrong. I have enough stuff in my life causing me anxiety.

So, I'm nine days in and I must say I feel good. My conscience was really starting to bother me when I'd buy so much cheese at the grocery store.  My plan is to continue to eat a vegan diet as much as I reasonably can. The bad news is that I typically have to cook two meals - one for my family and one for me. But, that's not the end of the world.  I love this time of year, too. I can really stock up on good stuff at the farmers' market every week.

One thing I was missing is a granola bar-type snack. Most of the ones you find at the grocery store are not vegan.  So, I found this recipe and made my own. They are really good. If you make them and want to make sure they are vegan, be sure to check the ingredients on the chocolate chips you buy. I found some super dark chocolate ones that don't contain any milk/butter.  Good stuff.  Mine don't like as purdy as the pictures on the baking site, but they taste really good.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

On Being Patriotic

Three cheers for headgear!