Dear 13

Hey Kid,

Happy 13th birthday! You're finally a teenager!

Sometimes I think about the day you were born, after the dust had settled and the nurses had moved you to the nursery. Your dad and I went to the lobby of the hospital to make some calls. When I walked back to the nursery wing, my heart was racing. I had this terrible fear that I wouldn't remember which one was you, that I wouldn't recognize my new daughter. After all, I didn't carry you in my womb and we had only just met. I remember seeing a row of bassinets, each one containing a newly-arrived human. I nervously scanned the row.

But, I knew you right away. I've always known you, baby girl. I know your tender heart and your crazy curls. I know your green eyes and your fear of spiders. I know your infectious laugh and your insistence on pulling doors that clearly say "push." I know you.

I am so very proud of the young woman you are becoming. I love how you treat other people with kindness and compassion. I love how you keep singing, even when you think no one is listening. I love how you understand my quirky sense of humor so thoroughly that you make jokes that slay me on the spot. I love how you still let me hold you. Please know that you will never be too old for that.

We have running jokes, you and I. "You're my favorite," I say.

"I'm your only," you respond.

And you are, of course. My only. My person.

Happy birthday, Goober.

Love, Mom


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

On Being Patriotic

Three cheers for headgear!