These shoes are made for . . . loping along


I've never been much of a runner. Remember the physical fitness testing in school?  Do they still do that?  I remember having to do the flexed arm hang, shuttle run, 50-yard dash, and 600-yard dash. I can't remember what else. Sit-ups, maybe?  I remember doing okay on the 50-yard dash, and even the flexed arm hang. The 600-yard dash, though? There was no dashing involved. I would jog along for a bit and then walk around the track, usually with a couple other girls, while a gym teacher yelled, "C'mon, ladies!" I have just never been much of a distance runner.

So, naturally I'm planning to run a 5K in May. I even got new sneakers for Christmas. I've gone to the gym a couple of times since then. Normally, I go right for the elliptical and then do 40-45 minutes on that, shying away from running entirely. I think it all comes down to high impact vs. low impact. I spend a lot of time doing yoga and cardio and don't have any issues because it's all low-impact - as in, my feet stay on some sort of surface the whole time. Anyway, right now what I'm doing is to run on the treadmill (it's 8 degrees here today so that's why I'm not running outside). I run for a couple of minutes, then walk for a bunch of minutes, and then run for a couple more minutes, etc. My hope is that eventually I'll be running more than I'm walking.

I do have few challenges when it comes to running:
  • My left foot doesn't really like it. This is the foot on which I had surgery in May. You know how when you wreck your car and the insurance company fixes it but it's never quite the same again?  It's like that. My foot doesn't hurt like it did before the surgery, but it will never be "right" again.
  • I'm kind of, um, busty. I just strap 'em down and hope for the best.
  • My hips aren't huge fans of the running. I've been struggling with my bad hips since I was in my 20s. I never sleep very well. My poor husband has been so patient as I've tried out different types of bedding and mattress pads on our bed. Right now, I have a memory foam mattress topper and two mattress pads on the bed. If I ever find the magic combination that allows me to sleep without pain, it'll be the best day of my life. 
So, why persist with the running then?  I guess I just want to see if I can do it. I don't like not being able to do something. I also want to see if I can understand what it is that all of my runner friends are always raving about. Plus, I'm signing up my daughter for the 5K as well (we plan to run a 10K a month later). I figure it's something we can do together. Although my plan is that we'll do some training runs together in the spring, the reality is that she could roll out of bed tomorrow and run miles without stopping. Damn kids and their energy.

I'll keep you posted on my running progress (I'm sure you can't wait).  If you happen to belong to my gym and see me loping along on the treadmill . . . for the love of God, just avert your eyes. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

On Being Patriotic

Three cheers for headgear!