The annual blog post that nobody reads

And yet, I can not be stopped from posting it every year.  Yes, that's right, it's my annual "favorite music of the year" post. Now, I think you know that I am way too lazy to look these up individually and confirm that they were released in 2013 and not at the tail end of 2012 or something.  But, I think I'm at least in the ballpark.

Anywho . . . here are my favorite songs from 2013:

Jake Bugg - this is a toss-up between "Slumville Sunrise" and "Me and You."  I also still have several songs from last year's debut album in heavy rotation. I have a feeling that if I met this kid in person, he would be an arrogant ass. I do think he is extremely talented, though.

Big Boi - "Apple of My Eye" and "Mama Told Me." Okay, I did look this one up and the album was released in December of 2012. But, I listened to it this year.  Big Boi is basically a guilty pleasure for me. Don't tell anyone.

Disclosure - "When a Fire Starts to Burn" and just about everything else from the album "Settle."  The great thing about this album is that it also works great as a work-out playlist. 

The Avett Brothers - "Another is Waiting."  I've never been a huge fan but I liked this song. The song "I and Love and You" (from a few years ago) almost brings a tear to my eye every time I listen to it. I should probably spend more time listening to these guys.

My Morning Jacket - "Leaving on a Jet Plane."  This was from the album "The Music is You" which was a John Denver tribute. I believe it came out at the end of 2012. In any case, I was never a John Denver fan (as old as I am, he was actually a little before my time) but Jim James' voice on this song just slays me. Absolutely slays me.

Crystal Fighters - "At Home."  I bought four songs from the album "Cave Rave" and love all of them.

Lucius - "Turn it Around." I saw them on a Tiny Desk Concert on NPR and just loved them.

Ra Ra Riot - "Dance With Me." This one is also on the work-out playlist.

Haim - "Forever." These sister chicks got a lot of buzz this year, and they really are very good!

Honorable mentions: Matangi by M.I.A, Mercy by TV on the Radio, Everything by Nine Inch Nails, and Black Skinhead by Kanye West.

I'll be sure to bore you with my list again next year. Until then . . .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

Three cheers for headgear!

On Being Patriotic