Hey, they didn't have Crocs in medieval times

We took A and her friend to a Renaissance Fair on Saturday. I had never been to one, so I wasn't sure what to expect. The closest we've come is when we went to Medieval Times on our honeymoon. I still laugh when I think about the hostess telling my husband, "I'm processing your credit card, m'lord." Anyway, I had jumped on a Groupon deal for the Renaissance Fiar and it all seemed like a good idea at the time. It was a four-pack of tickets so that's why we invited a friend for the kid. Plus, when she has a friend along, it distracts her from asking me and her dad quite so many questions.

Fortunately for me, most of the festivities were held in the woods. It's tough for me to be out in the sun all day (in as much as it might kill me and all). So, I was grateful for the shade. The first thing we encountered inside the gate was a camel. The camel was raising money for a local animal shelter. We donated a buck and he kissed both girls. I never know if I should be supporting this sort of thing or not. He seemed to enjoy the treats and his caretakers seemed very nice.  Junior seemed to be well cared for but at the same time, I'm not sure if he really belongs in the woods somewhere in the midwest, you know?  I don't know. Later in the day we saw some horses performing and I wondered about that, too. I guess my main beef is when an animal is obligated to do stuff that isn't natural for that animal. A bear riding a bicycle for example. Just about everything that happens at the circus. That kind of thing. Maybe having a camel as a companion animal isn't the worst thing.

Throughout the woods, there were all sorts of booths and things to do. We learned about birds of prey and there were even some dog booths (Otterhounds, Greyhounds, and Scottish Deerhounds). My kid was thrilled to see a reptile rescue there.  What's funny is that the people who run the rescue have started to recognize my daughter from all the events we go to. They basically just hand her a snake now. No questions asked.

After leaving the reptile area, we grabbed some food to eat - fried cheese curds and spiral cut potatoes. I'm not so sure they had those during the Renaissance. I also noticed a vendor who was wearing Crocs. I don't know who that guy thought he was fooling. We also watched a couple of shows and made a pass back through all of the booths. A and her friend attended a "knighting ceremony" for kids. They each met with the queen and were awarded the title of Lady in Waiting. The queen gave each girl a little colored stone.

We decided it was about time for us to head home and let the dogs out. The fair was about an hour away from our home and the dogs had been stuck in the house for several hours already. Just then, a guy dressed in period costume came over and told us we shouldn't leave the knighting ceremony because the queen was going to explain the gift after she was done knighting the rest of the girls and all of the boys.  He made it sound like we were in danger of offending the queen. I looked at the line and realized we'd have to stay for quite a while in order for the queen to get through all of those kids. "We have to get home and let the dogs out," I told the man.

"Oh, what's five minutes?" he asked. I smiled and tried to decide what to do.  I turned to my husband so that we could confer and figure out what to do.

"I think we're gonna have to make a break for it," I whispered.

"WHAT DID YOU SAY, MOM? WE'RE GOING TO MAKE A BREAK FOR IT?!"  my daughter piped up at the top of her lungs, with the guy in tights just an arm's length away.  Kids, I tell ya.

Anyway, we did make a break for it. stopping once for ice cream on the way home. The girls both bought parasols and fairy dust at the fair.  I wasn't sure if the friend's mom would be thrilled about the purchases, so I made a mental note to let her know that it could have been worse. Catapults were also for sale at the fair.

So, that was our Saturday, full of knights and horses and junk food. On Sunday, we went to a Pow Wow. My daughter brought her new parasol, of course. She and I stood on a hillside and watched the Grand Entry, which is when the veterans and the dancers are introduced and brought into a big circle. Before you know it, there is a swirl of feathers and bells and bright colors. It is really something to see. I really wish my heritage called upon me to wear a dress with tiny bells attached to it.

While I snapped a few photos, my daughter complained about the heat incessantly. I guess the parasol is not as wondrous as she thought.  I bought her a lemonade. She spilled it two second later. I told her she owed me four dollars and that I would add it to her tab. Eventually, it started to rain, giving her something new to complain about.  So, we headed out. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

Three cheers for headgear!

On Being Patriotic