I'll let you know . . . if you suck

My daughter goes through phases where she asks a lot of questions about her adoption. Then we usually have a lull where she's more concerned with things like watching yodeling videos on YouTube (I am not making that up).

Last week she dug out some of her adoption books (The Red Thread, Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born, etc.) and read them, so I figured a question was coming.

"Mom, were you friends with J [her birthmom] before you adopted me?  Did you know her before that?"

"No," I said. "We met her through the adoption agency."

She nodded.  "Oh, okay."  Silence for a few moments.  "And she picked you and Daddy because she thought you would be good parents for me?"

"Yes, I think so," I responded.  "I assume she chose us because she thought we'd be good parents.  Was she right?"

My daughter started to walk out of the room and then turned to look back at me over her shoulder.  "I'll let you know," she said. And then kept walking.  So sassy!

This summer we are planning a visit with her birthmom (she lives several states away but will be in town for her sister's wedding).  It will be the first in-person visit in around seven years. I haven't told the kid yet but I will, soon. I am looking forward to the visit.

In the meantime, I'll just carry on with my mediocre parenting. Cuz that's how I roll.

Comments

Lisa.Y. said…
Alex has just started asking some serious questions and I've been looking for some decent books. Thanks for the recommendations :)

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

On Being Patriotic

Three cheers for headgear!