Where shall I start?

The report from my weekend:

1. I have a cold.
2. I saw a concert.
3. I was awake for nearly 24 consecutive hours.
4. I got a speeding ticket (my first, I should add).
5. I went out on a date.

I am exhausted, so I just don't think I can bore you with all of these topics in a single blog post. I mentioned on Facebook that I got the speeding ticket and several of my friends "liked" my status. I wasn't sure how to interpret that.  Possibilities:

1. Awwww, that sucks! Here, I will like your status in case that helps you feel a little better. Mwah!
2. I got a ticket today, too. Here, I will like your status in an act of solidarity. Lead-footed drivers unite!
3. You so deserved it, Miss Prissy Pants.  Bitch got served!

I will just assume that the truth lies somewhere between options 1 and 2.

I went to a concert Friday night with a friend of mine. It was 2+ hours away (no band worth seeing bothers to come to our town, believe me). More on the concert some other time. At 1:45 a.m., we were driving home through a small town that is known for doling out tickets to speeders. The speed limit is 30 so I always drive 29 just to be on the safe side. On the other side of the town, the speed limit goes back up to 55. I accelerated to get back up to the posted speed.

At about the same time, I asked my friend for a piece of gum. I had been up since 5:00 a.m. and was starting to feel a little bit delirious. I sang along to the songs on my iPod in order to remain conscious. Before we had passed through the town of many tickets, I had set my cruise control in order to stay on track. Believe it or not, my mom-mobile has a fairly large engine and zips right along at higher speeds without even breaking a sweat. I use cruise control frequently in order to keep us both in line. I was just about to reset the cruise control when Karen and I both spotted the car on the right side of the road. It was pitch dark so we were pretty much right on top of him by the time we spotted the vehicle. Da police (Sheriff's Department, to be more precise). I slowed down but of course it was too late.

In the wee hours of the morning, when you are the only car on the road and you're speeding, yer goin' down. So yeah, it was kind of a dirty trick. He got me going downhill. He got me during the merest second when I had apparently overcompensated for the speed change and had been just about to set the cruise control (disclaimer: I would have set the cruise control for a few miles over the speed limit, but not for anything close to 72 - the speed at which I got zapped). But, you know what? I was speeding. I dood it, as my daughter used to say. I'm not even convinced I was going as fast as the officer claimed, but I knew it was pointless to argue or even to go to court. I'll just take responsibility for my mistake and move on.

I hope you're not horrified by my foray into lawlessness.  Next thing you know, I'll start jaywalking with a vengeance, turning right on red even when the sign prohibits it,  AND KEEPING MY LIBRARY BOOKS FOR A FULL DAY PAST THE DUE DATE.

Comments

Midask9 said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

Three cheers for headgear!

On Being Patriotic