Reader, Reader

It amazes me what kids learn in Kindergarten these days. Here's what I remember doing in Kindergarten:
  • Gluing pieces of paper to other pieces of paper
  • Sitting at the "blue" table (each table had a color)
  • Befriending a boy named Carl
And that's it.  My daughter, on the other hand, is learning math, reading, writing, science, computers, and so forth.  I've been particularly impressed with her reading skills.  The bad news is that now I suppose I'll have to explain foul bumper stickers and the like. Greeaaaat.

Sometimes she gets a little bit cocky about her reading abilities.  The other day we passed Hooters on our way to Red Robin.  "Huh," she said with a casual shrug. "I didn't know we have a Hotters here." When she is reading and she doesn't know a particular word, she typically doesn't attempt to sound it out or, God forbid, ask for help.  She just substitutes some random word - typically one that does not even start with the same letter - and keeps going.

Anyway, I thought I'd share a little video clip of A reading "Chicken Soup with Rice" (just the first three months, though).  I think it goes without saying that she is a genius. As further proof, I will subject you to a video of her saying her alphabet when she was just 20 months old.  See, I told you - gen-i-us.

Of course, the little brainiac wore her tee shirt inside out all day on Monday, persists in singing incorrect lyrics constantly, and still thinks we store our cheese in "the fridgelator."  But still . . .



Comments

aliciajill said…
F (30 mon) was watching over my shoulder. I asked her if she could say her ABCs too. "No! I not. Sawy Mom! Bye!". Hmph.
radioactivegan said…
"Good job!" "Yeah, I know"

My favorite part :) She is reading really well!
Anonymous said…
With a Meemaw like me no wonder she's so smart. I got a little teary looking back on her counting. Where does the time go? I'm very proud of her reading abilities.
Love,
Mom/Meemaw

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

On Being Patriotic

Three cheers for headgear!