That's Hobo with a B


Giddy thought the stuff from Goodwill smelled mighty suspicious.

My daughter became a hobo today. She didn't know what a hobo was, so I explained to her that's it's someone who has no home (although I guess there's also a connotation that a hobo is sort of a purposeful vagabond, a lovable character even . . . but I didn't go there). She was playing the part of the train-hopping hobo in a Christmas play at church. The children were performing "An Orange for Frankie," based on a book by Patricia Polacco.

Let me tell you, it was a hard sell. I spun it as a "won't it be fun to wear a costume" sort of adventure, but she saw it a bit differently. A lot differently, in fact. She has worn only dresses for almost two years now. I went to Goodwill and picked up some overalls, a red shirt, a red bandanna, and some gloves (I cut off the tips of the fingers - very clever, ne c'est pas?). I bought these items in the boys' section. If my daughter knew this little fact, I seriously think she would experience a psychotic break and never be the same again. I thought of taking a bit of soot from the fireplace and smudging her cheek with it but I knew it would never fly.

The pre-k kids are cast mostly as extras in these annual performances, so A didn't have any lines or anything. She wandered around the stage and sat in a painted train when directed to do so. Eventually she left the stage altogether and sat on her dad's lap for the remainder of the play. She was a cute hobo, but the cuteness was short-lived. She demanded to change into a dress as soon as we got home.

After church, we made cut-out cookies. I rolled out the dough and cut the shapes, and the kid decorated them. And by decorate, I mean that she poured enough sprinkles on each one to choke a horse. Fa la la la la!


Yes, Virginia, there is a cookie under that mound of festive red sprinkles.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh boy!! Or, to show how cool I am -- OMG!! That's got to be the most miserable expression I have ever seen on anyone. That's okay about her dresses-only policy, though. Meemaw loves making dresses, so keep it up kid. As for the cookies, Meemaw likes lots of sprinkles, too!
Love,
Mom
Steph K said…
Holy Sprinkles, Batman!
Jennifer said…
Hahahaha! Love it!
Cassi said…
The cookies under all the sprinkles were very good....o the joy of being that little girls neighbor!! Thanks A.

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

Three cheers for headgear!

On Being Patriotic