Hey ya

I know you have been thinking to yourself, "Self, I wonder what Claudia has been listening to lately?" I love fall because that's when a lot of artists release new stuff. When critics start cranking out their "best of the year" lists in December, they are more likely to remember music they just heard in September or October.

My wee baby sister (Red Earth Redhead) and I are thinking of starting our own music blog. We might call it Red Alabaster. Or Alabaster Red. Or, "We'd rather eat glass than listen to Lady Gaga." It's catchy, no?

One album I was really excited to hear this month was the newly released "Know Better Learn Faster" by Thao and the Get Down Stay Down. I loved their last album, "We Brave Bee Stings and All."

I can't find a video, but here is a cut called "When We Swam."


I'm also excited about the new stuff coming out from Vampire Weekend. This song, "Horchata," grows on me more each time I hear it.

If you're looking to add some new tunes to your iPod, some of the 2009 albums I think are worth checking out:
  • M. Ward: Hold Time
  • Neko Case: Middle Cyclone (give "People Got a Lotta Nerve a listen - you'd have to be some kind of ass not to dig it)
  • Gossip: Music for Men
  • Bat for Lashes: Two Suns
  • Camera Obscura: French Navy
  • Animal Collective: Merriweather Post Pavilion (I never tire of "My Girls" no matter how many times it pops up in shuffle mode on my iPod)

I liked Lily Allen's "It's Not Me, It's You," but I find her to be so insufferable that I have a hard time giving her much of an endorsement.

That's all I can think of for now. I'm on vacation and am using as little of my cerebral capacity as possible. Speaking of which, I've got to stay on schedule if I'm going to finish this bottle of vodka before my flight leaves on Monday. Ciao!

Comments

radioactivegan said…
You may already know of the band, but you might like Dengue Fever http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=87884427

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

On Being Patriotic

Three cheers for headgear!