"I didn't hit somebody today!"

That was A's exultant announcement when I picked her up from Kindercare a few days ago. My chest swelled with pride at the knowledge that my little buttercup had not clocked anyone on that particular day.

We've continued to struggle periodically with the hitting issue at school. The kid spent part of one afternoon perched on a chair in Miss Amber's office, reflecting on the rightness/wrongness of smacking one's friends. Miss Amber is the director at the center my daughter attends. On the way home in the car that day, I heard this from the back seat: "Miss Amber said I have nice hands!"

I looked at her in the rear view mirror. "Um, I'm pretty sure that Miss Amber meant that you should be nice with your hands. I don't think she was complimenting your hands. Though they are lovely."

To be honest, I'm fairly certain that in some of these incidents, my kid has been slugged first. However, I have to assume she is probably the aggressor in at least 50% of the incidents. We've had several stern-faced "discussions" with her, but we're not sure what else to do beyond that.

Other odd things my child has said to me this week:

"Mama! Gretchen licked my tongue! And I licked her tongue, too!" I'm just going to pretend that one didn't happen. :::Humming to myself while rocking back and forth:::

"I'm gonna be four on May 3rd. And I'm getting a car. A pink one." We were thinking in terms of getting her a "big girl" bike for her birthday, but a Chevy? Not so much.

"And you didn't even have to count to 5!" She's been saying this when she actually does something voluntarily. Normally, she waits until I've threatened the lives of her, her children, and her children's children. If I tell her I'm going to count to 5, she waits until I get to 4 3/4, then rolls her eyes, sighs deeply, and does whatever minuscule task I've required of her.

After passing some rambunctious children on a trampoline: "Mama, look at those kids on that . . . kid jumper." Then, glumly, "I sure wish I had a kid jumper."

Comments

Susie said…
Hold on. I am certain that I only gave birth to one kid almost 4 years ago, but I think our kids were separated at birth. The critterboy announced yesterday that he hadn't kicked or hit that day, followed by a request for candy. He, too, spends a lot of time in the office at daycare lately. Sigh. Maybe they can be on the same cell block in juvie someday!
Sam said…
Someone in our neighborhood is a top Mary Kay salesperson and she drives the pink Mary Kay car! I see it all over the place. It says "Mary Kay" on the driver's side door. Not at all tacky. :-) I bet your kid would love it!
Mary said…
You and A crack me up!;) Boy, she gets till 5 huh? My kids got till 3 or else!;)I have to agree, those "jumpers" are fun, my kids wore out 2 of them! Well, you might count all the neighbors in on that... But you also must be careful if two are on and not bump your kid as to have them fall wrong and break their arm.... ;)What a cute pic of A, she sure is growing up!

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

On Being Patriotic

Three cheers for headgear!