What the kids are asking for these days


At a museum's exhibit of old department store decorations we visited yesterday.

This morning, the kids at church performed a Christmas program. We're UU's, so the play wasn't the standard Jesus/Mary/Joseph manger theme. Instead, they performed "The Last Straw" based on a book of the same name. My daughter is in the Pre-K class at church, and those kids are usually given simple walk-on parts since there's not much hope of getting three-year-olds to practice/memorize anything.

A's role was to add an item to the camel's pack. The camel (played by a talented teen girl) was traveling across the desert to bring gifts to the baby Jesus. About halfway through the performance, my kid was summoned to play her pivotal role. She shoved some sort of package in the camel's pack as guided by one of the teachers standing offstage. A then started to gallop back towards me. However, for some reason she then turned on her heel and skipped back across the stage. Perhaps realizing she was in the wrong place (though I sort of doubt it, as she firmly believes that she is already semi-famous), she ran back across the stage again . . . only this time she lifted her skirt up and down as she did so. I didn't bring a camera, so I can only hope that one of other moms captured that one for posterity.

Seated back in my lap, she watched two of the high school girls playing a hymn on their clarinets. "I wish I had an instrument, " my daughter said, wistfully.

"Maybe Santa will get you one for Christmas," I whispered. I happen to know that Santa did, in fact, pick up a purple plastic recorder for $7.00 at Pier 1 yesterday.

"HE'S BRINGING ME A TROMBONE?!" she replied loudly. I have no idea why she is so fixated on having a trombone, but she mentions it at least once a week. "I sure wish I had a trombone," she'll say as she pushes her beans around on her dinner plate. I have no doubt that somewhere out there, some company probably does manufacture trombones for three-year-olds, but I'm going to try not to think about it too much.

Comments

Anonymous said…
A recorded, huh...you are one brave woman!

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

On Being Patriotic

Three cheers for headgear!