Something Like a Vacation

It's Thanksgiving. The kid and I are at my sister's house. A's still sleeping, because she's been partying like a big dog every night. We spent the past few days at my parents' house. The kid has my parents right where she wants them. On the first day, she said, "I'm so happy to see you, Meemaw!" My mother went straight to the store and bought her a new toy. A loves my mom to pieces but she is my dad's number one fan. Every time she sees him she plows past my mom and yells, "Hi, Granddaddy!" They watched cartoons together for hours yesterday.

Oh, and get this. Apparently my parental authority . . . well, I have none as soon as my parents enter the picture. I took a cup of water away from my kid because she was sticking her hands in it and my spidey sense told me that something very unfortunate was about to happen with that water. Thirty seconds later, I heard A pleading her case to my dad. And then she emerged from the kitchen with . . . the big cup of water. The one I had just taken away from the little manipulator.

Another wrinkle I didn't predict: A is jealous of her five-month-old cousin. She takes toys away from him and throws them down the stairs. I know it's totally normal but it is a wee bit embarrassing. She's basically bullying someone who can't even sit upright unassisted. She is having a good time with her other two cousins, though (ages three and eight).

Last night I went to a Washington Capitals game with my dad. The Caps got slaughtered but it was a good time nonetheless. My dad, God love him, bought me a double wine - to the tune of $14.00.

So, we are having fun. I managed to get some Christmas shopping done. We have a lot of birthdays in my family this time of year, too. My niece wants High School Musical crap for her birthday so I complied. We've been visiting friends and relatives, too. I think I could've stayed home and just sent the curly-haired one. She is the one they really want to see.

Tomorrow we are headed to Ocean City, MD to hang out with my father (my other father - my poor kid is going to be so confused). We'll be staying at a nice condo with a pool, so that's a plus. My friend R lives in New Jersey and is planning to drive to the beach to see us and meet my daughter for the first time. We've been friends since the sixth grade, which makes me feel plenty old.

But first, we need to get through Thanksgiving. We'll have 11 people at dinner tonight. One just drinks booby milk. Of the other ten, exactly half are vegetarian. So needless to say there is not a huge emphasis on the turkey - mostly we just run our mouths and drink and bide out time until dessert.

Comments

Drasch23 said…
She won't be confused. She's a genius! Hope you are having a good time.

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

On Being Patriotic

Three cheers for headgear!