Thinking of Doing the Unthinkable

I am in need of a new car. My 2000 Ford Explorer has 576,987,231,987 miles on it. As a volunteer for rescue I drive a lot. We're always picking up dogs and driving them hither and yon. Plus, my family lives in Virginia so we make that trek by car at least once a year. Not to mention all the weekend trips to Madison, Milwaukee, and "up north." We pack up and go somewhere any chance we get (fair warning: be sure that you never casually mention that you have a cabin somewhere if we are within earshot - we'll be on it like white on rice). Anyway, I love my Explorer but it's starting to exhibit some quirks. I think it's best to bid it adieu before stuff starts falling off.

So, I started to do some research. Ideally, I'd like another SUV. Sorry to be so environmentally incorrect but I can't fit three Boxers and a toddler and a stroller into a Toyota Matrix and that's all there is to it. But SUVs are expensive and we are already saddled with the car payment for P's car (a car that I hate with a burning passion that will never die, but I digress). We have lots of other fun bills, too, like an adoption loan (if you think having a kid the old-fashioned way is expensive, try adopting one!)

After digging around on some car sites online I started to think . . . would having a mini-van be the worst thing that ever happened to me? When we were in Texas the car we reserved (a mid-size sedan) was not available so they gave us a mini-van. Our first thought was, "Ugh." I had to admit, though, that not only was it roomy, it had a smooth ride and got decent gas mileage. We traded our coolness for practicality.

But who am I kidding? I'm a 37-year-old Midwestern mom with two dogs, two cats, two fish, and a mortgage. Any modicum of coolness was probably just wishful thinking on my part anyway.

If anyone present would like to object to this blogger purchasing a mini-van, speak now or forever hold your peace. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks

On Being Patriotic

Three cheers for headgear!